Understanding Reddit's Recent iOS Icon Changes
Recently, Reddit implemented significant changes to its API, leading to several third-party apps abandoning the platform. As a result, the official Reddit app has become the primary method for accessing the social network on mobile devices. Unfortunately, with this shift, the company has introduced a new default app icon named "OrangeRed," replacing the original default, now premium-only, icon. This has drawn mixed reactions from users.
The Dilemma: Pay for Premium Icons
Reddit now offers custom icon options for users, but here's the catch: these custom icons are exclusively available to Reddit Premium subscribers. The original Reddit logo icon remains accessible but is locked behind the Reddit Premium paywall. While the platform currently offers two free icon options, "OrangeRed," and themed icons like "Doge" (hysterically inappropriate) and "Wall Street," users (who perhaps caught Reddit meme frenzy) who prefer the classic Reddit logo have limited choices unless they subscribe to Reddit Premium.
What About Android Apps?
While the icon has not appeared on Google Play Store for Android devices, it's only a matter of time until it shows up there too.
Reddit Premium: The Price and Benefits
To gain access to more custom app icons, and not have to look at the ugly icon and get ad-free Reddit browsing, and the exclusive r/lounge community, users can subscribe to Reddit Premium at a cost of $5.99 per month or $49.99 per year. However, for iOS app subscribers, the pricing is slightly higher, amounting to $6.99 per month or $59.99 per year.
The Fallout of Reddit's API Changes
The decision to charge developers for using Reddit's API has led to the shutdown of several third-party apps, which, in turn, caused an exodus of users from the platform. Metrics revealed a decline in Reddit's access statistics, with many subreddits turning private, making them inaccessible to the public. Furthermore, some subreddit moderators have ceased their activities, potentially impacting Reddit's revenue from advertisers. The situation escalated to the point where the Reddit CEO requested employees not to wear Reddit merchandise in public to avoid potential harassment from disgruntled users.
Here are some useful tips to those still planning to use or access Reddit:
A Guide to Custom Icons
1. How to Customize Reddit iOS App Icons
To customize your Reddit iOS app icon, follow these simple steps:
- Update your Reddit app from the App Store.
- Open the Reddit app on your iOS device.
- Navigate to the settings menu.
- Look for the "App Icon" option and tap on it.
- Choose from the available custom icon options, including "OrangeRed," "Doge," and "Wall Street," or explore the Reddit Premium options for more choices.
2. Aesthetics Matter to You: Creating Eye-Catching Icons
Reddit's new app icon design might not be to everyone's taste. If you want a more visually appealing icon for your Reddit app, consider these alternatives:
- Utilize graphic design tools to create your custom Reddit icon with your favorite Reddit logo.
- Explore online communities where designers share custom Reddit icons, and choose one that suits your style.
- Join Reddit communities that offer user-generated icons, as they might provide access to a broader range of designs.
3. Enhancing Your Reddit Experience
While Reddit Premium offers unique benefits, there are ways to enhance your Reddit experience without subscribing:
- Utilize Reddit Enhancement Suite (RES): This browser extension adds numerous features and customizations to your Reddit experience, including changing the appearance of the Reddit interface.
- Install Third-Party Reddit Apps: While many third-party apps have shut down, some alternatives still exist. These apps may offer customization options not available in the official Reddit app.
4. Reddit Communities
Reddit thrives on user engagement and communities. Engaging with subreddits can lead to exciting opportunities:
- Join design-focused subreddits: Discover talented designers who create custom Reddit icons.
- Participate in theme-specific subreddits: Find icons that suit your interests or themes.
- Start your subreddit: Showcase your custom icon creations and connect with like-minded users.
Reddit Makes is iOS App Icon Ugly and Pixelated
Users who dislike the new icon but still choose to use Reddit must pay to change it. Reddit offers custom icon options, but they are exclusive to Reddit Premium subscribers, leaving the original icon accessible only behind a paywall. Those who find the service valuable will use it but those who don't wish to pay for the service probably won't pay because of the icon anyway.
While there are two free icon options available for a limited time, neither resembles the original Reddit logo. Reddit Premium costs $5.99 per month or $49.99 per year, with a higher price of $6.99 per month or $59.99 per year for iOS app subscribers. The changes have led to user protests and abandonment of the platform's third-party apps, causing potential revenue loss and further controversies for Reddit which doesn't seem to care about its community image.